WHAT DOES THIS JOB INVOLVE
Through inspirational seminars, workshops and a mix of individual and group exercises, you will give your students an insight into the exciting world of the media, teaching them how to use the power of words to communicate effectively and inspire others.
You will lead your students in discussions on current affairs, and teach them the core journalistic skills of interviewing and research, how to write inspiring and accurate articles and how to effectively debate social, political and ethical issues. Students should leave the programme with knowledge of a wide variety of areas of modern journalism, covering everything from reporting and current affairs to designing pages for publication.
As a group, the students on this course will be given the opportunity to help with some of the articles for the ISSOS Times, our summer school newspaper.
As an ISSOS teacher you have your own class of international students aged 13-18 years old. Our classes are kept small in order to provide individual attention, personalised instruction and create an encouraging, supportive and fun environment for students to learn while making new friends from around the world.
Although we provide every teacher a guide as to what each lesson should achieve, we ask our teachers to bring their own experience and personality to each class and create their own stimulating and challenging lesson plans.
We are looking for charismatic, inspirational individuals who are experienced in their field and who can provide a nurturing yet challenging atmosphere with individual attention and strong classroom management skills.
All of our summer positions are fully residential and all of our staff teams will be actively involved in the various events and activities that we put on for our students.
YOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teaching a class of international students, 3 hours per day, every weekday morning for the duration of the 3 week programme
- Creating and executing interesting and engaging lesson plans
- Taking part in evening activities (compulsory rota basis)
- Making sure students are safe and happy at all times
- Being a positive role model
- Contributing a short article for our summer magazine, The ISSOS Times
WHAT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE DO YOU NEED?
- Previous teaching experience is essential
- Experience in teaching international students preferred
- Strong working knowledge of the journalism industry
- You must be fluent in English
THE TYPE OF PERSON WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Clear and effective communicator
- Enthusiastic and self motivated
- Passionate about instilling a love for your subject in your students
- Team player who is willing to be involved in the wider summer school programme
WHO CAN APPLY?
To apply for our roles you must either be a UK or a US citizen, or have the legal right to work in the country you are applying for a role in. Please note that we cannot sponsor visas for working in the UK.
ANYTHING ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW?
- All of our staff must pass a full criminal background check*
- We provide full bed and board for you at our campuses, plus fixed payment
- All staff are required to be on duty (on a rota basis) for evening programmes, activities, day trips and arrival/departure days.
- This role is available in Cambridge
WHAT WILL YOU GET OUT OF IT
Our Teaching roles are a great opportunity for anyone looking to build on their previous teaching/tutoring work to gain invaluable experience that can be put into use in your full-time career. With guidance from us, you will be given the freedom to develop your own lesson plans, and build on your classroom experience with students from over 80 nationalities, at the same time as having a fantastic summer experience of your own. No two days at ISSOS are the same and we are really proud of the fact that our staff team have as much fun during the summer as our students do.
WHEN AND WHERE WE NEED YOU:
Cambridge: 8th July - 3rd August 2023
Read our staff testimonials or check out our Staff FAQs
*ISSOS International and ISSOS USA are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all stakeholders to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be expected to hold a current PVG/DBS or equivalent enhanced background check/be willing to obtain one. The cost of this will be covered by the company. Employment will be subject to the company receiving two references from previous employees covering your suitability for the specific position and working with those under 18 years old.Worked with ISSOS before? Apply Now