There are two Head Counselors at each ISSOS campus, one male and one female. As Head Counselor you will be responsible for managing, motivating, supervising and leading a team of 15 Counselors in their daily role.
The Head Counselors are in charge of the pastoral care of up to 150 students, aged 13-18 and need to be comfortable and capable of dealing with any disciplinary issues with regard to both students and counselors if they were to occur.
The Head Counselors and their team are responsible for running all the sporting activities, the evening programmes and the cultural trips. Your team will be made up of people who are fun in nature and don’t take themselves too seriously. We are looking for people who understand the positive impact they can have on a young person and that their role within the summer school is essential to its success.
The responsibility of this position comes with plenty of challenges and an even greater number of rewards.
*This position is available at Yale for the Student Leadership Internship. To read more about our Internship at Yale, please visit here STUDENT LEADERSHIP INTERNSHIP (YALE)
Main areas of responsibility
- Management and motivation of a team of 15 staff
- The pastoral care of 150 students
- Planning and running large group events
- Managing cultural trips
- Planning and coordinating the arrival and departure of our students
- Sending daily reports to Head Office
- Running daily meetings with staff and students
- Motivating your team
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Previous experience working with young people is essential
- Previous people management experience preferred
- Clear and effective communicator
- Ability to address difficult situations in a calm, judicious and professional manner
- Flexible attitude
- Confident speaking to large groups of people
- Enthusiastic and self motivated
- Must be fluent in English
- Must be a UK or have the legal documents to work in the UK
- All staff must pass a full criminal background check*
- Positions for both Head Male and Head Female Counselors available in St Andrews, Cambridge & Yale
- Full bed and board is provided plus generous fixed payment
St Andrews: 28th June - 16th August 2018
Cambridge: 8th July - 2nd August 2018
Yale: 12th July - 6th August 2018
*ISSOS International and ISSOS USA are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all stakeholders to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be expected to hold a current PVG/DBS or equivalent enhanced background check or be willing to obtain one. The cost of this will be covered by the company. Employment will be subject to the company receiving two references from previous employees covering your suitability for the specific position and working with those under 18 years old.