Counselors at ISSOS act as role models for our students and they are the first point of contact for our students. Counselors work as a team to look after the pastoral care of up to 150 students aged 13-18 years old.
The team of counselors is responsible for running all the sporting activities, the evening programme and the cultural trips.
Each counselor will be in charge of a group of up to 15 students. You will be responsible for waking your group up, getting them to breakfast on time, keeping them up-to-date on the upcoming activities, encouraging them to participate fully in evening activities. Your main responsibility is to look after your group, making sure they are happy and safe and they feel welcome and at home throughout the session.
This role is for people who are fun in nature and don’t take themselves too seriously. We are looking for people who understand the positive impact they can have on a young person and that their role within the summer school is essential to its success.
*This position is available at Yale for the Student Leadership Internship. To read more about our Internship at Yale, please visit here STUDENT LEADERSHIP INTERNSHIP (YALE)
Main areas of responsibility
- The pastoral care of our students
- Running and taking part in all activities included in the programme
- Running and managing the cultural trips included in the programme
- Making sure our students are happy and safe at all times
- Being a positive role model to our students
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Previous experience with young people preferred
- Interest in sports, music, theatre, dance and other hobbies would be advantageous
- Flexible attitude
- Good sense of humour
- Ability to stay calm in stressful situations
- Clear and effective communicator
- Enthusiastic and self motivated
- Must be fluent in English
- Must be a UK or US citizen or have the legal documents to work in the UK and USA respectively
- All staff must pass a full criminal background check*
- Positions are available in St Andrews, Cambridge and Yale
- Full bed and board is provided plus fixed payment
St Andrews: 27th June - 15th August 2019
Cambridge: 7th July - 1st August 2019
Yale: 11th July - 5th August 2019
*ISSOS International and ISSOS USA are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all stakeholders to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be expected to hold a current PVG/DBS or equivalent enhanced background check or be willing to obtain one. The cost of this will be covered by the company. Employment will be subject to the company receiving two references from previous employees covering your suitability for the specific position and working with those under 18 years old.